The Deal about the Nexus

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Deal about the Nexus

Post by Xang on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:43 pm

So I got a few messages asking me when Nexus be up again.

Here is the deal, 1st off, another computer can't host the Nexus, Ive tried but back in the day, people tried to hack my computer and steal the Nexus. I had Sadira the Dragonlord put in a code that allowed only the mac address of my pc to run it. We can't remember were we put that :p

I'm on a WIFI, which kills 1/2 my gaming (no 3d shooters for me) Someone was VERY generous to host or to buy a copy. However due to that hidden code it wouldn't work on another PC. All heroes are saved and not gone, just in hibernation.

I seriously  am thankful that some players still loyal to the Nexus. I have to agree that no current RPG or past RPG could even come close to the magic that Nexus represents. I've tried to explain to friends how complex the Nexus is and the "fun" it is trying to work yer way through each island but normally I get blank stares.

I've been waiting for a long ass time for another engine that I could work with to redo the Nexus.

Last edited by Xang on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Xang
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Deal about the Nexus

Post by ArchBishopLazarus on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:52 pm

Good evening Xang.

May I say forthright that I, As well as a handful of other players who may not necessarily respond to these messages avidly, but monitor the forums from time to time, Are thoroughly gracious of the response. Its certainly understandable that there would be necessary coding involved to secure The Nexus as I can imagine in its glory days, and even now, That it is indeed still quite the commodity.

That indeed is quite unfortunate that your wifi has such a direct impact on your bandwidth. Supposing that The CEP Nexus was online, I'd imagine it would take a considerable chunk out of the remainder. Truthfully, I don't think anyone has any right to insist when you're putting your personal needs first. If I may go to say, I am gracious that you have at least suggested an approximate timeline for The CEP Nexus to go live again. Naturally, If it takes a little longer, It is well worth the wait. Whenever you're comfortable and acclimated to your new homestead, I'm sure that I, As well as others will be there to login and see you online and jump right back into the midst.

We are just as gracious for having the opportunity to play such a thoroughly detailed and brilliantly designed module. If you should find an engine that suits your needs, and you should desire any testers, builders, or coders I know I would love to be of assistance. I'm sure as well that you won't have to look hard to find a handful of others just as interested as I am to donate their time towards such a worthwhile cause.

Thank you kindly for the response and I hope to speak with you again soon.

ArchBishopLazarus
Boonie
Boonie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightshift on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:37 pm

Hasnt been any activity on these forums in several months. But is there an ETA on the nexus coming back up? What exactly is the issue? Is it a money issue? Maybe I could assist with that...Internet issue? Not much I can do there. If I had the ability to host the mod, I would definitly host it myself. So your pc is the only one that can run it? Wanna sell your PC? Razz

Just talked several guys into giving NWN a chance, so far they have loved it. Playing NWN 1 and 2...obviously had to go to different servers, but am holding out for the nexus coming back, and letting these guys experience real fun.

Anyway, any information would be great!

Just talked to a guy I know, and it is possible to change the mac address on a pc...Not sure if this would solve the issue of what PC can run the mod.

Nightshift
Boonie
Boonie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBishopLazarus on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:19 am

Good evening Nightshift. A pleasure to see you back among us once more. In regards to the first inquiry I fear I'm uncertain. I know that Xang had recently moved in mid to late July if I recall correctly. The gentleman may have been quite preoccupied in the time since, I've noted his original post had been edited in such regards; Perhaps something had came up. I agree though had the need been of a monetary aspect I too would be willing to assist as The Nexus really is of outstanding quality.

Thats awesome though that you were able to find a few more players who yield interest in the game. If The Nexus is to come back relatively soon I definitely hope to see you online! I'm essentially laid off for the winter months so I'm seriously hoping to luck out and geek even harder *Smiles and laughs* Though may I say that I would be more than happy to assist in anyway I can server side to make the transition into the server easier for the gentlemen.

That indeed could prove to beneficial in regards unless the underlying script was fickle and deadset upon one specific source module; That being said though. I can't speak on the matter of Macs as I have never owned or wish to own one, Still, With the progression, I'd imagine with a fair amount of tinkering, some motivation, and a handful of the finest curses one can muster its certainly possible. Scripting is tedious, and challenging as hell unless you knew the specific string of code you were looking for; or what to look for, It would be a needle in a haystack, A very worthwhile needle in a digital haystack.

Also; Just incase you don't see anyone online doesn't mean there isn't people reading. A week ago the forums had 8 people online, but I was the only one who had been logged in. So; If you inquire, Sooner or later I; or someone else will get back to you.

ArchBishopLazarus
Boonie
Boonie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightshift on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:44 pm

I know a few people who do coding/scripting. Not really for NWN but between them and me, possibly we could find this script if the other way doesnt work. I completely understand why the script was put in there and think it was a great idea, i know people would love to get thier grubby little hands on the cep nexus. Dont want it popping up all over the place. Anyway, hopefully we can get some game time in on the mod soon. Very Happy

Nightshift
Boonie
Boonie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBishopLazarus on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Indeed, I as well know a few people, Primarily those who do coding in games such as Diablo II, Counter Strike Source, and Titan Quest, Although I fear I have little to no experience myself in such regards. That being said, I'm a quick learner and concurrently have roughly until March off work so I'd be just as willing had the concept been proposed or approved *Smiles and laughs*, It was indeed a necessary precaution especially in the peak of its popularity as being fortunate enough to play on the server when they had a limit of thirty people made it relatively challenging to log-on most times. Either/or, The Sentiment is indeed shared and I do hope to play alongside you shortly!

ArchBishopLazarus
Boonie
Boonie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xang on Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:15 am

Update, so the good news, the server is sitting next to me, the bad news, I'm still on a wifi, so hosting is not an option. As much as I like to be hard wired in, I make shitty money.. no seriously, I get paid for shit now. I can't afford internet and my bromance Zyeox.. (yes that Zyeox from the Nexus) lets me use his "free" wifi from comcast.

I have no "time frame" of when it will be up.

As far as coding and redoing the Nexus, I am so down, but still haven't found an engine that would be worth of the Nexus. It troubles me 10 years later, RPG's are still in the dark of what people want. Yes they are typically hack n slash, but no RPG currently makes you think... solve, discover, and make you giddy when you find a secret, you thought was never there.

I seriously love the fact there are still players out there, that want to continue to explore the Nexus. I promise when I get my finances straight I will host again.

Xang
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xang on Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:17 am

On a side note, if you wanna connect on facebook.. Send me a PM of your real name, and Ill toss you a friend request.

Xang
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Clad_In_Irons on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:47 pm

Good evening good people! I trust everyone had a great Christmas/New Year?
I have been trying for months to remember the Nexus forum addy! and now, I have returned!

Rob, how much ££ sterling a month would it take for you to host the Nexus? have you ever thought about setting up a Patreon account? I think I know a few people who would contribute... and keen to get back to it! I would pay to play!

How has everyone been? It has been FAR too long!

Clad_In_Irons
Boonie
Boonie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBishopLazarus on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:23 am

Welcome back Clad! As always, A pleasure to see you among us once more. With any luck you too had a fortuitous Christmas and New years and 2017 is treating you well.

Alas, I can only speak for myself on behalf of the young-ish generation who loathes social media. Must admit I don't have a Facebook account, or anything of the sort and I fear I most likely never will ascertain one. I drop onto the forums as frequently as I can though. Currently ended up taking a job that landed me in Florida for the past two months so I haven't been on the forums much. As a Canadian, I don't know what to do with my hands if I'm not shoveling snow, or scraping ice off a moose at this time of winter. People looking at me like I'm crazy because when I get off work and I go jogging shirtless and they're bundled up to all hell because its fifteen degrees. This is summer weather. Madness I say! I miss the cold.

Upon doing a bit of research if not for anything else the Patreon account would be a viable option, Relatively easy to set-up and sort out too. I very much like you and many others would indeed Pay to play The Nexus, but the ultimate decision to pursue would indeed be up to Xang. Regardless, It most certainly is worth the wait no matter what the decision ultimately is and we genuinely thank you for keeping us informed Xang. Should a suitable platform to reimagine the world of The Nexus be found I'm sure as a community we could collectively find a variety of ways to be of assistance; Even if not for anything else but providing word of mouth. I know my girlfriend, Twin brother, and a few of the people I've spoken to about it are very interested. In time, and persistence, The community I'm sure will grow strong once again.

I sincerely hope life across the pond has been treating you well though Clad. It has indeed been quite some length of time since we last spoke. What have you been up to in the past little while bro?

ArchBishopLazarus
Boonie
Boonie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightshift on Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:08 pm

So I've been doing some reading and research on the unreal engine 4. I use it to mod a little for another game I play....i think this engine could provide the starting point in remaking the nexus, bringing graphics up to date also. I've only barely dabbled in the basics but after reading forums and other sources, I believe this could work. Of course everything even basic systems would have to be coded/reworked to work how they need to. I'm going to dive in and start working out some basic key points that need to be integrated for the 'nwn' feel. I'm a novice at coding and what not, but maybe just maybe I can discover if this engine could do what is needed.

The engine itself is free to download, assets and other people's tools do cost money, but those were all created using the engine itself, so it's possible to make something and never spend a dime. It will take time though. There are a few tools/assets that are free, just not a lot.

Anyway, I plan on spending a few hours a night exploring this engine. If anyone is interested in joining this adventure, and want to discuss please feel free discuss here, or add me on steam :[ATF] Nightshift. Or jump in my gaming clans discord https://discord.gg/ckafQHZ
I won't post my gaming community web site here, unless it's Ok? In which if it's ok I will edit and add it. Got a few guys who have/want to play nwn/the cep nexus there also.

Nightshift
Boonie
Boonie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBishopLazarus on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:41 pm

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen! My apologies for such a lengthy reprieve. The task I was obligated to ended up taking a handful of sudden turns that lengthened it rather dramatically.

Had you been possibly interested in acquiring another set of hands or possibly discuss potential veins or routes that may be considered I would absolutely be willing to lend my time albeit limited as it may be to you and attempt to provide any assistance I can. Anything that could possibly bring back The Nexus in any incarnation sooner I won't deny I am all for. Whether you decide to discuss openly or would rather send a private message, You have my attention.

On an unrelated but relatively fascinating note. Its a good day for the forums. Realized that this July we've had our highest visitors of the forums at 13 since its recent inception. With any luck we can generate some steam and bring'er back if we could be so fortuitous.

ArchBishopLazarus
Boonie
Boonie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top